It's strange how some people come into your life and then leave, but leaves footprints, carved in you for eternity. I was sifting through my older posts when Venugopal Uncle came back to me. I've met Venugopal Uncle only twice or thrice- not more than that. We've never really talked much in person. If I were to see him on the road, I don't think that I would even be able to recognize him properly.

But if today I have the motor in me to write and vent out my thoughts, I owe a lot of it to Venu Uncle. Venu Uncle's comments for my posts as a 9 and 10 year old girl, meant a lot to me. I used to wait for his comments as if they were some priced possession sent from afar. I wrote a lot so that I can read more of his comments and feel elated. Reading these comments now make me feel so silly. When he said that he "shuddered" reading about a snake in my trip to Ooty and that he immediately felt better reading about the waterfalls, I was too naive to understand that those were exaggerations made with love by a man who already had a grandchild.

But looking back, that assurance he gave me, that assurance that I can write and that I can make people read what I've written was decisive in me continuing to write. By the time he stopped commenting, I was around 12 or 13, and I was already on my feet to take up my passion. But I really doubt whether in the absence of Venu Uncle's words, filled with love, surprise, amazement and unending encouragement, I would have taken to writing seriously.

Not that I'm an accomplished writer. But for whatever little I am able to do, I owe a lot to people like him. Venu uncle is not my relative, he is not a family friend, he is not someone my parent's know very well. But for me, he pushed boundaries of relations and became a friend and a well wisher. I've not seen him in a long time. But Venu Uncle, I  just want to thank you from my heart for being there. Not everyone gets to have people like you in their lives. It means a lot to me, even today,as an 18 year old.

Posting some of his comments below

December 2009:
Excellent story, Suruma! Story with a good message too. Reading it was like seeing a Walt Disney cartoon movie! Keep writing more such stories, because it is great fun reading them. I have become your fan.

March 2009:
 Hello Jasmin. I felt great reading your 'trip to Ooty.' It was as though I was on the train with you enjoying the trip. You described everything you saw on the trip. That description about snakes crawling all around made my skin crawl. I shuddered. Immediately I felt better when I read about the beautiful waterfall...
Keep writing. I want to read more of your stories. I have fallen in love with your writing already.
(P.S. Travelling with you on the train I wanted very much to have an ice-cream. But there was no mention about it in your story. Except for this disappointment, I enjoyed the trip a great deal.)


February 2010 :
Then I thought of visiting your blog and suddenly I am happy once again, reading about the mouth-watering delicacies (except dessert) you had at your birthday party. It must have been nice to speak with Greek and English people and know about their countries. I am sure you are going to visit all those wonderful places some day soon.
And don't forget to invite uncle also to your next birthday party. We can have it at some other hotel where is the dessert is also good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Write!

Tora Rang Man Bhayo Nizamuddin!